Facial recognition is a powerful technique capable of facilitating a new era of mass surveillance. The technology has been in development since the 1960’s, but only recently has facial recognition begun to be rolled out in large scale. Face surveillance systems are now being implemented as part of commercial services, government administration, and law enforcement functions with little to no legal protections in place. Additionally, the technology is subject to bias and the images used to create the underlying algorithms and databases are often collected surreptitiously and without consent.
EPIC supports a ban on facial recognition.
- Biden Administration Abandons DHS Plans to Expand Biometric Collection + (May. 11, 2021)
- EPIC, Coalition Urge DHS to Rescind CBP's Proposed Biometrics Rulemaking + (Mar. 10, 2021)
- EPIC, Coalition Call on Biden Administration to Abandon "Virtual Border Wall," Invest in Migrant Communities + (Feb. 25, 2021)
- Surveillance Court Finds FBI Repeatedly Misused FISA Program to Conduct Unlawful Surveillance of Americans + (Apr. 29, 2021)
- EPIC, Coalition Urge End to DC-Area Facial Recognition System + (Apr. 28, 2021)
- EPIC, Coalition Call for Ban on Corporate Use of Facial Recognition + (Apr. 14, 2021)
- Virginia to Ban Local Police from Using Facial Recognition + (Apr. 9, 2021)
- EPIC, Coalition Urge New York City Council to Enact Comprehensive Ban on Government Use of Facial Recognition + (Mar. 30, 2021)
- EPIC, Coalition Urge NYPD to Limit Use of Surveillance Technologies and Disclose More Information on Their Use + (Feb. 25, 2021)
- EPIC, Coalition Urge Biden Administration to Halt Use of Facial Recognition + (Feb. 17, 2021)
- European Parliament Guidelines Call for Moratorium on Facial Recognition + (Jan. 22, 2021)
- FAA Announces Final Rule for Remote Drone ID + (Jan. 6, 2021)
- New York Enacts Law Suspending Use of Facial Recognition in Schools + (Dec. 23, 2020)
More top news
- EPIC Comments on DHS Expanding of Biometric Entry-Exit (Dec. 21, 2020)
- EPIC Comments on DHS Expanding Collection/Use of Biometrics (Oct. 13, 2020)
- EPIC Comments to DPIAC on DHS’s Biometric Entry-Exit Program (Dec. 10, 2018)
Share this page:
Subscribe to the EPIC Alert
The EPIC Alert is a biweekly newsletter highlighting emerging privacy issues.